Sunday 3 February 2013

The Sun Keeps Shinin' and the Mid-South Wind Keeps Pickin' Up Speed, Gonna Forget About Myself For a While, Go Out and See What Others Need

Ted DiBiase v Hacksaw Duggan (No DQ) (3/8/85)

Well fuck me. Is this one of the best sun-ten minute matches ever? I think it is, you know. Really, this has pretty much everything I want in an 8 minute brawl -- molten crowd heat, great selling, GREAT punches, multiple Ted DiBiase fist drops, buckets of blood; the whole nine. Duggan was really incredible here. He bleeds like a motherfucker, stumbles around with a kind of Terry Funk-ish goofiness (and I mean that in the best way possible), and his timing on everything is more or less perfect. When he makes his comeback (which is a really great slow burner) the crowd just go completely fucking ballistic, like Slaughter blasting Sheik with the loaded boot levels of wild. The ref' bump that leads to the finish is a bit daft, but other than that I loved this. Wasn't as chaotic as their street fight where they're smashing each other with belt buckles and shit, and that match rules as well, but I liked this even more. Whenever I finish this re-watch project ("when", "if", whatever), I could see this landing in my top 10 (I have no recollection of where I had it the first time around).


Mid-South Project

No comments:

Post a Comment